Everything You Need to Know About 'Self Registration'!
- First, the administrator needs to allow their site to allow self-registration on either the Enterprise level or Site level.
On Enterprise level (including Domain Restriction)
- To enable self-registration - make sure "Disable Self-Registration is unchecked under Enterprise Setup > Site > Registration
- If the administrators wishes to restrict self-registration by email domain (i.e. only anyone with these email domains' can register successfully) please add all email domains that are allowed to the domain list.
- If enabled, any domain restrictions made will only allow users with those domain email addresses to:
- Self Register
- Reset Password
- Make sure to Save Changes.
On Challenge / Site level (including Domain Restriction)
- To enable self-registration - make sure "Which users do you want to allow to register? - is set to "Everyone" under Site Setup > Site > Security
- If the administrators wishes to restrict the Site level self-registration by email domain (i.e. only anyone with these email domains' can register successfully) please add all email domains that are allowed under Site Setup > Site > Registration
If enabled, any domain restrictions made will only allow users with those domain email addresses to:
- Self Register
- Reset Password
- Make sure to Save all Changes.
- Refer to this article regarding domain restriction for more information.
- Please note: Self-Registration can be turned off at any time - by switching the Enterprise/Site selections respectively.
- Once everything is set - what happens is the following:
- The user navigates to the Enterprise site (yourcompany.brightidea.com) or Site site (yourcompany.brightidea.com/ideas)
- User clicks "Register" - User will enter their email address and click "Submit"
- A message will display: "Please check your email to continue registration."
- User will need to go to retrieve the email sent. Email message will say: "Please follow the link below to complete registration: https:________"
- User will select the link from the email and be brought to a registration screen like this:
- In the registration screen User will need to fill out screen name and password and any profile fields.
- User will accept terms and conditions (if applicable).
- User will then select "Register" and be redirected into the site upon successful login.
- On Site level there is an option named: "Default User Group for Self Registration"
- If enabled, the default user group For self registration option will route all new users to this group upon registration.
- Self registration here means visiting the Site for the first time. For SSO, registration invitations, and self-registration, the user will be routed into this group upon registering.
- Administrators can find this option under Site Setup > Site > Security
- Make sure to select "Save Changes" when finished.
When trying to register, and a user receives a "Registration Failed" - It could be one of the following reasons:
- IP address is blocked
- If the passwords is not correct
- Domain/Groups restrictions are set.
- If the user uses a different email address than the one they registered with.
- Note: If "Strong Password Rules" option is enabled, the user must include set conditions for their password