Administrators have the ability to submit large batches of ideas through our Brightidea import wizard. We have designed this Submission Import Process to be as seamless as possible so that Admins can get the evaluation process started!
Before Admins begin to import Submissions into Brightidea - please remember that all prior information must be in place within the Initiative. This includes necessary Statuses, Categories, and pre-existing Email Addresses of User(s) in Brightidea
To import Submissions into an Initiative - navigate to Site Setup > Idea Tab > Idea Import:
To import Submissions directly from the Pipeline, navigate to either Step View or List View and select the dropdown arrow next to the Quick Add. Then, select "Import Submissions/Ideas"
The user will be prompted to download the "Submission Import Template"
Submission Import Template
From either Site setup or Pipeline download the "Blank Template" or the "Sample Data Template". The "Blank Template" will populate just the column titles in Row 1 that need to be filled in. While the "Sample Data Template" will provide sample Submissions as an example for Admins to follow.
The administrator can then open and fill in the .XLS template in Excel.
Admins can also import answers for Additional Submission Form questions. When Admins setup their Submission Form, the Admin's template will automatically have their questions planned out in the top row of their import .xls file.
For our example, we have a Submission Form using the below question types:
- Check-box format
- Multiple Choice
- Long/Short Answer format
- Dropdown format
Once saved, in the .xls template, the questions will appear at the top row:
An example of a filled out Submission Import template will be as follows:
- For Checkbox, the import template supports applying multiple answers, so the answers "More Money" and "More Time" can be applied for all three submissions. These options will need to be separated by a comma.
- The answer "Yes" will be applied for all three submissions for the Multiple Choice question.
- Any text can be applied for the long/short answer.
- The answer "Evaluation Process" will be applied for the Dropdown question.
The .xls file will then look like this:
Once the Admin has completes the import template, go back to Pipeline or Site setup and select "Upload File".
Brightidea will automatically check the file and will give the Admin the number of Submissions that will be imported (as pictured above). In the case that Submissions cannot be imported, Brightidea will notify the Admin of the Submissions that won't be imported and the reason(s) why.
Once imported, all Submission(s) will be populated with their respective selections on the View Idea page(s):
- To import tags, please separate each Submission's tags with separation of a comma. An example would be "innovation,world,communication"
- Foreign characters are accommodated in this import.
- Submissions Import cannot be used to update existing submissions, this feature is for new Submissions only.
- If Initiatives use customized date formatting - it cannot be in that format for the import, it must be mm/dd/yyyy
- Users do not receive reputation points for imported Submissions at this time.
- The submissions import feature is not designed to accommodate dependent submission form questions at this time. Please make sure there are no questions set as 'dependent' on the Submission Form before running the import.
- If a Rule, within Rules Engine, is configured to trigger an Email when a Submission hits the first Step, this may conflict with the Idea Import process.
- Idea Import will trigger the email to be sent before an idea URL link has been generated. If you have a Rule configured for your first Step, we recommend turning off the rule before the import process starts.
- Categories must be included in the Submission import template. If your Initiative does not use Categories, you will need to enable the setting, apply 1 Category, and complete the Import.