One of the best features of Brightidea is the incorporation of our Rules Engine. This allows our Innovation Program Managers (IPMs) and Pipeline Administrators to fully automate their Pipeline from start to finish.
Table of Contents
- Getting Started
- Creating a Rule
- Activating / Editing a Rule
- Cloning a Rule
- Deleting a Rule
- Exporting Rules' History
- Important Things to Note!
- Navigate to Pipeline Setup > Rules
- Each rule is tied to the events of a single idea only.
- For this example below, as a Pipeline Manager, we will set up a rule to change a status and trigger a custom email, automatically, when an idea (in a specific category) is dragged or moved into a specific step.
Creating a Rule
- Once the Administrator/Manager is in the Pipeline Setup area, he/she can begin to add a rule in two places:
- 1) In the gear icon in each step, selecting "Add Rule"
- 2) In the right hand "Pull-Out" menu, the last selection is named 'Setup' - which will direct the Manager (or administrator) to the Pipeline Setup section where the rules are held.
- Once selected, the Manager will be brought to a screen to add a rule for the Pipeline.
- Let's get started: First, The manager first needs to add a name to the rule for our example rule.
- The manager has to configure the event of how the rule gets triggered: Here, the Manager selects what has to happen in order for this rule to fire. The Manager has the following options:
- Comment Submitted: When any comment (normal or admin) is made to an idea
- Days in Current Status: When any ideas have hit [x] amount of days in the same status
- Days since Idea Submission: When any ideas have hit [x] amount of days since it has been submitted
- Idea Status Changed: When any idea(s) status is changed
- Idea Submitted: When any idea is submitted
- Idea Updated: When any idea is updated (when any user triggers the "Update Idea" button when editing an idea - regardless of any content edited)
- Vote Submitted: When any vote (chips or normal) is submitted to an idea
- Added to Step: When any idea is added to a specific step.
- Removed from Step: When any idea is removed from a specific step
- Action Item Completed: When an action item is completed for a specific idea.
- For our example, we will select ' Added to Step' > Single Scale, since when an idea gets added to this step, we want something to happen:
- Second, the administrator must select conditions that the rules engine will verify for.
- He/she can select whether the condition(s) are "All" or "Any" met and choose more than one condition from the following list:
- Category Is/ Is Not [X]
- Comment Count Is / Is Not / Is Less Than / Is Greater Than [X]
- Days in Current Status Is / Is Not / Is Less Than / Is Greater Than [X]
- Days Since Idea Submission Is / Is Not / Is Less Than / Is Greater Than [X]
- Idea Score Is / Is Not / Is Less Than / Is Greater Than [X]
- Status Is/ Is Not [X]
Submission Form Question:
- Submitted By Is/ Is Not ____ (The Manager will need to search for a user within the Brightidea system)
- Idea View Count Is / Is Not / Is Less Than / Is Greater Than _____
- Step Is/ Is Not ____(The Manager will choose from steps in that specific Pipeline)
- Single Scale Average Score Is / Is Not / Is Less Than / Is Greater than [X]
- Pairwise Rank
- Scorecard Score
- Note: If the administrator uses multiple conditions, it is an "And" relationship. Therefore, it does not pick either or condition, the condition must be true for both items.
- For the example we're following, we are going to specify that only ideas with the 'Product' category will be the idea(s) that will be selected.
- Lastly, the Manager must select the action to take place - from any of the following:
- Users may create their own email templates, which can then be selected in the rules editor
- Email templates include the following dynamic fields in both the subject and body of the email:
- Affiliate ID
- Contact Email
- Idea Code
- Idea Title
- Idea URL
- Idea Submitter's Screen Name
- Screen Name: (Name of the user(s) the Manager is sending the email to)
- WebStorm Name
- Change Status: Change status of the idea
- Change Visibility: Hide / Show the idea.
- Send Email: Send an email to a Brightidea user or group
- Post to URL: Post to Brightidea API (more info here )
- This action supports the following parameters:
- Change Step: Move an idea to another step in the Pipeline.
- Note: When and if a rule fires, and moves ideas to a new step, with this event, it will not trigger any other rule(s) that depend on trigger "Idea Added to Step".
- In other words, if Idea A was in the 'Review Step', then moved to the 'Single Scale' step, any action items configured for the 'Single Scale' step will trigger, as well as rules set for that steps' conditions. Automation!
- Keeping with the example we presented, we will set our events to change the status to 'Evaluating' & send an email to two specific users noting the status change.
- For this example, please note any subsequent actions may also take a place once a status is changed
- In other words, any user subscribed to the category or idea, as well as the idea submitter themselves, will receive respective notifications and/or email alerts based on the status change conducted by the Rules Engine.
- Once all set, the Manager selects 'Save' to save the rule.
Activating / Editing Rule(s)
- For a rule to run after it is created, the admin must activate the rule for it to run in the Brightidea system.
- To do this, right mouse click the rule in the list within Pipeline Setup, select 'Change Status' and move to 'Active'
- This will now activate the rule to run. The administrator can then deactivate any rule(s) if they wish to do so.
- Feel free to select the rule to make changes (to the name, any events, conditions, etc) and select "Save Rule" when finished updating.
Cloning a Rule
- The administrator can save a lot of time by "cloning" or copying rules within the same Pipeline.
- To clone a rule, select the rule in the rule list, then select "Actions" > "Clone Rule"
- The administrator will receive a popup verification to confirm he/she wants to clone a rule. Select "Clone Rule" in the pop up to confirm.
- Note, if the admin clones an active rule, it will also be active once cloned.
- Once the rule is cloned, the admin will see a new entry called "Clone of ____"
- The administrator can then go in and edit the name if need be to make the clone distinguishable
Deleting a Rule
- If there is any need to completely remove a rule from the rule list, the administrator can always delete it.
- To do so, select the rule(s) from the rule list, select "Actions" > Delete Rule"
- The system will then prompt the administrator to confirm if he/she wishes to delete his/her rule(s)
- Select "Delete Rule" to proceed. Once selected, the rule will vanish from the list.
Exporting Rules' History
- Within the Rules section, the administrator can select "Export History" from the action menu drop-down on the far right.
- In the report, it will generate an Excel report that shows the rules' name, last time a rule was run, and what it outputted.
- This can also be selected in the "Actions" menu as well, by selecting "Export History"
Important Things to Note:
- Please also note the following notes concerning the Rules Engine and is relationship to other Brightidea components:
- Rules cannot trigger other rules (e.g. Rule #1 will not trigger Rule #2)
- Example: If you have rule 1 where trigger is set to "Added to Step", if rule 2 adds the idea to the step, it will not trigger rule 1!
- The administrator cannot select "Greater than or equal to" or "Less than or equal to"
- Rules cannot trigger other rules (e.g. Rule #1 will not trigger Rule #2)
- Each Rules Engine section is separated by each Pipeline. (i.e. > the administrator cannot view all rules in one view across Pipelines)
- Rules run in order of their placement. (#1 first, #2, etc.)
- The Rules Engine respects email digests - so it will be included in any settings there.
- If the rule triggers a status change, it will trigger any respective status change email notifications setup as well.
- Respects contact email in Pipeline setup
- Respects time zone setup
- "Quick Add" functionality is currently not supported in the rules engine, e.g. it's not possible to specify 'Quick Add' as a category condition.
- Team submission ideas will only be relative to the main idea submitter of that team.
- The Rules engine respects Initiative specific statuses if that is what is setup in that Initiative the admin is creating the rule for
- An "Idea view" is a direct selection of idea i.e. > A user will need to have select an idea and gone to its page.
- The number of comments accounts for normal comments, comment replies, and admin comments in total.
- The administrator can create multiple status changes in different rules
- The Rules Engine does not respect group restriction for sending emails in an Initiative - the email will be sent regardless, so be aware of any security protocol put into place.
- If a Rule is configured to trigger an Email when a Submission hits the first Step, this may conflict with the Idea Import process.
- Idea Import will trigger the email to be sent before an idea URL link has been generated. If you have a Rule configured for your first Step, we recommend turning off the rule before the import process starts.