Zapier enables users to send Ideas created in Brightidea into your Monday.com system as new items. Zapier also opens up the ability to send Monday.com items into Brightidea to generate new Ideas. This article will showcase both creating an item in Monday.com from Brightidea, and creating a new idea in a Brightidea pipeline from Monday.com through webhooks.
- Outgoing Webhooks: Passing Ideas into Monday.com
- Incoming Webhooks: Passing Monday.com Objects into Brightidea
Passing Brightidea Submissions into Monday.com (Outgoing Webhooks)
Setting up the Webhook
Begin configuring a Zap with 'Webhooks by Zapier' and follow the prompts to get a URL:
Open Brightidea and create a rule:
- Method: Post (to match Zapier configuration)
- URL: Copy and paste from configuration above
- Content type: JSON
- Header: HDR1:hdr1
- Body: start with the sample code below to send all of the dynamic fields to Zapier
Return to Zapier
Continue to follow the prompts to configure the action with test data:
- Send a test request by triggering the rule. It should come across nicely like this:
- Select the action to perform. For us, we will create a new Monday.com item using the fields from above.
- Choose Monday.com as the app, and “Create Item” as the Action Event.
- Next, Zapier will ask you to select the board you want to pass the Brightidea ideas into, and customize/map the fields using the Brightidea data fields you've configured above.
- Confirm via the test prompts that everything is coming through and matching up correctly
Once the zap is correctly set up, anytime your newly created rule triggers (i.e. when an idea hits a certain step), the Idea will be passed into the selected Monday.com board as a new item.
Let's say we have an Idea Box set up for enhancement requests, and we want to push the requests into Monday.com at a certain step.
Create the rule using the steps listed above, and make the event the triggers the rule "Added to Step":
Once the rule is created, move one of your ideas into the Step you've connected to the trigger.
In the background, the configured rule will fire, and the HTTP Request (Webhook) will push the idea into Monday.com as a new item.
Incoming Webhooks (Passing Monday.com Items into Brightidea)
Setting up the Webhook
In Terminal or Postman
- Locate the pipeline ID for the initiative you want to connect to Monday.com. Easiest method is to get it from the end of the URL in Steps or List view:
- You'll now need to add a webhook through an API call to that specific pipeline that will catch incoming requests. Here's how it will look in Postman:
- Grab an access token by making a request into /_oauth2/token (see: Authentication - Password Credentials Flow for details)
- Once you have a token, you will need to POST into /_webhook/add using the token in the header and the pipeline ID in the form data.
- If successful, you will receive a hash_id that you will be able to use in your requests from Zapier/Monday.com:
Now that we have a hash ID connected to the specific pipeline, we can set up a Zap that will use the static hash rather than an access token (the latter would need to be refreshed every hour).
- Begin configuring a Zap with “New item in Board” in Monday.com
- Choose the board you want Zapier to watch and pull new items from Monday.com to send into Brightidea.
- Test your trigger to make sure it's pulling objects from the Monday.com board successfully.
- Next, configure the webhook with 'Webhooks by Zapier' and choose "POST" as the event:
- Configure the webhook to match the fields needed to create an Idea within Brightidea.
- Required Fields:
- hash_id: Use the hash you received in the steps listed above.
- action: create_idea
- title: This will be the title of your newly created idea (map it to a dynamic column header in the Monday.com board)
- description: This will be the description of your newly created idea (map it to a dynamic column header in the Monday.com board)
- Optional Fields:
- submitter: Email address of the submitter
- category: This will be the category of your newly created idea
- Additional Questions: If you have additional fields in your Brightidea pipeline, you can set those up in your request by using the question ID. In the example below, we're passing the Monday.com item URL into Brightidea as an additional field. (See the Additional Questions field under Create Idea in our API documentation for instructions)
- Confirm via the test prompts that everything is coming through and matching up correctly.
Once the zap is correctly set up, anytime an item is added to a specific board in Monday.com, the object will be passed into your selected Brightidea initiative as a new idea.
Let's say we have a board built on the backend in Monday.com to capture new ideas coming inbound from customers. We want to manage those ideas alongside all the ideas within Brightidea and keep everything under one roof.
Once the Zap is built and turned on, add a new item into the Monday.com table.
After the Monday.com item is added, the Zap will read the action, and fire off a POST request based on the Webhook. The idea will then be created within Brightidea: