Table of Contents
- Enable / Disabling Comments
- Comment Replies
- Attachments on Comments and Comment Replies
- Comment Anchor Links
- Editing / Deleting Comments
- Hiding Comments
- Voting on Comments
- Admin Comments
- Private Comments and Submitter Q&A
- Comment Reporting
- Truncated Comments
- Important things to Note About Comments
Enabling / Disabling Comments
- Comments can turned on or off by heading to the following admin page: WebStorm Setup--> Ideas --> Comments --> Comment Submission
- Make sure to "Save Changes" at the bottom!
- Also, if you wish to enable/disable replies to comments - you must turn on or off the "Comment Replies" option as well.
- Once enabled - users can make comments to ideas.
- If disabled, it will freeze all previously submitted comments, and not allow either administrators or end users to further comment (or reply to a comment) on ideas
- When an Idea is posted, users can make comments. Then someone can reply on the comment that was posted.
- Clicking the "Reply" on the first comment will place a comment under the last submitted comment.
- The "Reply" button doesn't show on second replied comments - so all comments go in this order:
- Parent Comment, Child Comment 1, Child Comment 2, Child Comment 3, etc...
- Email Triggering Scenario:
- User A posts an idea.
- User B comments on User A's idea.
- User C comments on User B's comment as a comment reply.
- In this use case, User B will receive all comment emails on that idea if the "New comment on idea" template is enabled.
- Since User B and User C are fellow commentators - they will see all comments, as well as receiving emails notifications.
- User A, as the idea submitter will see all comments, therefore he/she will be sent email notifications regarding those comments
- Leveraging private messages maybe an option to keep the communication locked down if the admin wish to keep certain information to be hidden from certain users.
Attachments on Comments & Comment Replies
- Refer to this article regarding enabling attachments for comments - and comment replies.
Comment Anchor Links
- Refer to this article regarding comment anchor links which allows comments to be shared easily via a condensed link.
Editing & Deleting Comments
- To enable comment editing / deleting for the end user navigate to WebStorm Setup --> Ideas --> Comments --> "Comment Editing for Submitter & "Comment Deleting for Submitter"
- Select "Save Changes"
- End User Perspective:
- When enabled the idea commenter can see pencil and delete icon.
- User is able to edit when clicking the "pencil" icon, and save when clicking "save" icon:
- The end user is able to delete comment by selecting the red "X"
- The end user can only delete their own comments
- The end user will get a confirmation popup message before the action takes place
- Once selected, the end user is prompted with this confirmation message:
- The end user can continue to remove the comment or cancel.
- Once removed - it will show this message for all users, including administrators:
- If a end user commenter decided to delete their comment, the commenter and/or administrator has the option to restore that comment if deemed so.
- If the administrator removes the comment, the message will say the following:
- Once selected, the comment is back visible to the idea for all users to see.
- Administrator Perspective:
- Remember: WebStorm & System administrators, by default, can now edit & delete any comments at their discretion.
- The administrator perspective is the same as is for the end user. The administrator has the access to edit and restore any end user comments.
- If an end user makes a comment - and if the administrator wants to remove it - they will get new option to do one of the following:
- Replace comment with "This comment has been removed by Administrator". and keep all replies to the comment
- Permanently delete this comment and any replies
- Replace comment with default alert:
- If #1 is selected, user gets this pop up confirmation:
- User will get a "Comment updated successfully" option upon selecting "Continue"
- If #2 is selected, user gets this pop up confirmation:
- Once selected, the comment will be removed automatically - as well as any of its replies.
- It will also return any reputation points
- This action cannot be reverted.
Important things to note about comment editing and deleting:
- This feature only applies to idea comments.
- All changes are trickled to the "My Comments" widgets on both WebStorm & Enterprise levels, respectively.
- When parent comments are deleted, child comments will also be deleted and a warning message is displayed.
- Comment counts are also modified accordingly in the corresponding widgets.
- All changes are trickled to the "Updates" widget on both WebStorm & Enterprise levels, respectively.
- Any removed comments will say "Removed by Admin." or "Removed by Submitter" in ideas report in "Comments" column depending on who conducted..
- On "Restore" comment, point reactived uses real-time value update - These are set in WebStorm Reputation point settings
- This does not accommodate API, Facebook Plugin, custom idea comment widgets, iPhone App or Yammer components
- Only WebStorm or System Administrators can hide comments from end users.
- For the Comments, the administrator can hide individual comments by selecting the red blockade icon. We have 2-layer threads with comments, meaning a user can reply to a comment, but a user can't reply to a reply.
- This shows that the comment is still visible - and can be chosen be hidden:
- This shows that the comment is now hidden from end users (only administrators can see this comment) - and can be unhidden:
- The administrator can hide individual comments, and if that comment had replies, the replies will also be hidden - or the administrator can just hide replies.
- Please be aware of the following when hiding parent and replied (child) comments:
- When hiding a parent comment, and the admin DOES NOT want the count of the children to show for the end user, he/she will need to hide the replied comments as well BEFORE hiding the parent.
- Due to the parent and child relationship, we need to keep the comments in this fashion due to the parent and child relationship.
- If the admin hides the parents, but do not hide the replied comments (child comments) - the end user will see a link to access those child comments, but will not be able to access them, which may cause confusion.
Voting on Comments
- Refer to this article to find out more information around comment voting.
- Refer to this article to find out more information around administrative comments.
Private Comments and Submitter Q&A
- Administrators/Evaluators also have the ability to post other comment types on the View Submission page.
- Note: Private comments are visible only to administrators and evaluators.
- On the View Submission 2.0 page, click on the dropdown menu in the comments section to change the comment type when posting a comment:
- To post a private comment, select "Private" and enter your comment.
- Private comments will appear in the comments section of the idea.
- A yellow "Private" label indicates that the comment is a private comment.
- Only evaluators will receive notifications of new private comments.
- End users and idea submitter(s) will not be notified and will not have access to any private comments.
- Submitter Q&A comments are private threads that allow the idea submitter(s) and idea team members to be involved in the comment thread with idea evaluators or administrators.
- To post a Submitter Q&A comment select "Submitter Q&A" from the dropdown menu in the comments section:
- After a Submitter Q&A comment is posted, a yellow "Submitter Q&A" label will appear around the comment.
- Comments marked as Submitter Q&A will be visible to the idea submitter and all evaluators on the idea.
- With this comment type, the idea submitter will receive a notification alerting them of the comment post.
- End users who are not part of the idea will not be notified and will not have access to these comments.
- Refer to this article to find out more information around using these comment types on action items.
- As a WebStorm or System administrator, the admin can export all comments on ideas within each WebStorm.
- To do so - navigate to WebStorm Setup ---> Exports ---> Ideas
- Select the "Download Ideas" report and the admin has to make sure to select "Include Idea comments"
- By default, comments are sorted by oldest first.
- However, if the admin enables the "Truncated Votes & Comments" option, comments will be sorted by newest first.
- This option can be toggled under: WebStorm Setup ---> Ideas --> Ideas
- With Truncated Votes & Comments on View Idea Page, it will truncate comments on an idea once it hits 15 comments by giving a link to "show older comments."
Important things to Note:
- There is no character limit for comments.
- HTML is stripped from comments.
- Comments trigger significant amount of email templates - see the Email Templates guide to become familiar.
- There are no "anonymous comments" yet in Brightidea
- There is also a feature that allows end users to be able to see the number of promoted / demoted comments with Comment Voting enabled in the WebStorm.