Identifying External Users within your system has now become much easier. If you have invited external parties to access specific WebStorms, they will now be flagged in the system as 'External'. System Administrators can log into their People Pillar and can track which users are External by locating the 'External' column. Let's find out more details below!
Table of Contents
- External vs. Internal
- Enabling External Users
- Importing External Users
- Flagging Users as External through Self-Registration
- Viewing External Users
- Important Notes
External vs. Internal
When working with users that are engaged from outside of your organization, it is best to make sure you keep these two distinct groups of users organized properly. For a general definition on External vs Internal, see below:
- External users are members considered ‘outside’ of the core organization. While external users can be invited to participate in similar activities as internal users, they may not have the exact same access as a core user within your organization.
- Internal users are members of your core organization. While each individual internal user may have varying degrees of access to areas, by nature, their permissions are less restricted than external users.
Enabling External Users
If you are an Administrator that is looking to allow External Users access to your system, you will first need to contact a Brightidea Administrator to enable this feature for you. External User permissions are not enabled by default, but with a quick switch of a button, this feature will allow identification of outside participants into your system.
Importing External Users
When using the User Import template found within the People Pillar of the Setup Wizard, you will now see a new column when adding users. This column 'External' will flag the users as external as they are entered into the system.
Marking the column with 'Yes' marks the user as External. Leaving the column blank will marks the user as Internal. This is important to apply properly so External users don't get mixed into Internal users.
Flagging Users as External through Self-Registration
If you plan on having External users register themselves rather than being imported, then Admins can enable the setting "Flag new users as external" within their WebStorm Setup.
Navigate to the WebStorm Setup page and go to Site > Security. Here you will see the option "Flag new users as external" disabled by default. Once this option is enabled, all new users that register through your site will be flagged as External.
Viewing External Users
The easiest way to identify if a user is External vs Internal is to head into the People Pillar and check the 'External' column. This column can be sorted for an easier view of your users and can be is accessible by all Administrators.
- Other than flagging External users in the system, there are no differences between External and Internal users.
- These users will have the same End-User permissions when accessing your site.
- Right now, there is no functionality to restrict WebStorms/Sites by 'External' flagged users.
- You will still need to utilize domain/group restrictions to control user access.